Peppermint Oreo cookies are a heavenly treat for chocolate and peppermint lovers, combining the rich, mouthwatering flavors of semi-sweet chocolate chips and Oreo chunks with a subtle hint of peppermint. This holiday cookie recipe is bound to leave your taste buds tingling and have you coming back for more.
I would like provide a detailed step-by-step guide to creating these indulgent cookies, including helpful tips, substitutions, and variations to suit your preferences.
What l Like About This Recipe
Festive Flavors and Texture Delight
What sets these cookies apart from typical peppermint treats is the use of chocolate mints, which adds a burst of minty flavor in a subtle, creamy way. The crunch of Oreo chunks, coupled with the smoothness of chocolate chips, creates a delightful play of textures, making these cookies perfect for the holiday season.
Easy to Make and Versatile
One of the best things about this recipe is how simple it is to follow, making it an enjoyable baking experience even for beginners. These cookies are perfect for various occasions, whether it’s a holiday party, a thoughtful gift, or just a special treat for yourself.
To make these delicious cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- White cake mix (15 ounces)
- Unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), softened
- 1 large egg
- Peppermint extract (½ teaspoon)
- Vanilla extract (½ teaspoon)
- Cream cheese (4 ounces), softened
- Oreo cookie chunks (1 cup)
- Chocolate peppermint candy (1 cup)
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (½ cup)
For the exact quantities, refer to the recipe card at the end of the article.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the white cake mix, softened unsalted butter, egg, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and softened cream cheese. Use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients until a smooth and uniform dough is formed, ensuring there are no lumps of butter or cream cheese.
2. Gently fold in the Oreo cookie chunks, chocolate peppermint candy pieces, and semi-sweet chocolate chips using a spoon or spatula, making sure they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour to allow the dough to chill. This is an essential step as it helps the cookies hold their shape during baking and makes the dough easier to handle.
4. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and use a spoon to scoop out approximately 1 ½ tablespoons of dough for each cookie. Roll the dough into balls between your palms, then place them on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring there is enough space between each cookie to accommodate for spreading during baking.
6. Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-11 minutes. They may appear slightly underdone when removed from the oven but will firm up as they cool.
7. Press any extra chocolate chips or peppermint pieces gently onto the warm cookies, if desired.
8. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Be sure to chill the dough thoroughly before baking to ensure the cookies maintain their shape and don’t spread too much.
Gently fold in the add-ins to avoid breaking up the cookie chunks and chocolate pieces too much.
Keep a close eye on the baking time, removing the cookies from the oven while they’re still soft to achieve the perfect chewy texture.
Peppermint Oreo Cookies
- 1 15-ounce box of white cake mix
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Oreo cookie chunks
- 1 cup Andes peppermint crunch pieces or any chocolate peppermint candy bar
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Blend the cake mix, softened butter, egg, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and softened cream cheese into a soft dough using a hand mixer.
- Fold in Oreo chunks, chocolate peppermint pieces, and chocolate chips gently.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of dough, roll into balls, and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Cookies will be soft initially.
- Press extra chips/peppermint pieces on top if desired. Let cool completely.
Substitutions and Variations
Butter substitute: Use salted butter and omit any additional salt in the recipe.
Egg alternative: Replace the egg with ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce.
Different cake mix: Use a yellow cake mix for a slightly different flavor profile.
Cream cheese swap: Use Greek yogurt in place of cream cheese for a slightly different texture.
Double chocolate twist: Use a chocolate cake mix for a richer, more decadent cookie.
Mint chocolate chip: Substitute mint chocolate chips for semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Crunchy surprise: Add crushed peppermint candies for extra crunch and peppermint flavor.
Nutty delight: Mix in chopped nuts like almonds or pecans for added texture and flavor.
With this detailed guide, you’re now ready to bake the ultimate Peppermint Oreo cookies, destined to become a favorite holiday treat that you and your loved ones will enjoy. Happy baking!